Meet the Artist
Suresh is an acclaimed Dhokra craftsman, a 5000 year old metal art also known as the Indian art of lost-wax casting. His studio at Devrai Art Village is nestled in nature, where he leads a core group of highly skilled adivasi craftsmen from the naxalite affected areas find a livelihood and a safe refuge. Together they create a wide range of decorative, sculptural and usable products by combining different mediums such as iron, brass, stone, wood, bamboo and fabric. While creating art, they have also innovated new processes like fusing stone with brass that have never been attempted before. An educator and community leader, Suresh has dedicated his life and his art to advocating for indigenous rights and preserving the cultural heritage of his people. This will be a rare experience that explores linkages between indigenous art and nature.
The VAWAA experience includes
- Learning the unique process of creating a metal sculpture by fusing stone and brass.
- Designing a wax model using stone.
- Preparing a clay mould.
- Firing/casting using lost wax technique.
- Finishing and decorating using an aesthetic sensibility that emphasizes the fast eroding connect between Man and Nature.
- Your lost-wax cast object.