Stoneware and Sgraffito Pottery with Ranjita
- Breakfast, Dinner, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $945
- Additional guest(s) (max 2)
- USD $300
- One Guest
- USD $500
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $250
Meet the Artist
Recently she's been experimenting with sgraffito, a form of decoration made by scratching through colored slip on clay. It's a painstaking and laborious process but worthwhile if fired successfully. "I believe pottery can change the way people view objects. The fact is that it's not merely a visual medium, but engages sound, encourages touch, creates tactile memory, develops a sense of aesthetics like few other materials do."
- Learning about different clays, firing temperatures, clay making, wedging, handbuilding techniques such as pinching, coiling, slab work and basics of pottery on the wheel.
- Learning surface decoration techniques of sgraffito or carving through clay. You will either throw a plate or use a plaster mould to make a slab plate.
- Based on skill level, learning advanced techniques like making bespoke handles, knobs, throwing lids that fit and other advanced throwing techniques.
- Due to the time required, all pieces will be fired and shipped at a later date. Or, you can extend the duration to learn in-depth bisque process, glazing and high firing (1300 degrees C) in a gas kiln.
- Your hand crafted pottery.
- Visiting local potteries and studios around the city.
- A trip to Auroville.
Stay at Ranjita's
Pondicherry has been famous for its pottery since Ray Meeker and Deborah Smith started Golden Bridge Pottery (GBP). Along with Gurcharan Singh, they spearheaded high-fired stoneware glazed pottery movement in India. Until then pottery in India was low-fired earthenware that was used for storage and tiles. Today It's a well known destination for sourcing pottery since a lot of studios and establishments have been set-up by Ray and Deborah's erstwhile students. Auroville especially has a number of production potteries and ceramic artists at the moment. The relatively slow-paced life allows for the growth of creativity here.
This VAWAA is available for a longer duration, up to 120 days and can also be adapted for children. Please ask when you send your booking request.
The studio is on the second floor and not accessible by wheelchair.
Hermione P., Singapore
I had a very interesting and insightful experience with Ranjita! I spent time reviewing my basic pottery techniques and also learned new ones under her watchful eyes. Along the way we also had many conversations about the history of pottery in Pondicherry, and she took me to see a number of pottery centres - including the historically significant Golden Bridge Pottery; where she used to instruct. Read more
Jahnvi V., India
We had an incredible time with Ranjita! She made us feel so cared for and looked after, both in the studio and at home. In the studio we did a mix of wheel work, hand building and sgraffito, and spent the rest of our time wandering around Pondicherry and Auroville, eating delicious meals made by Ranjita and playing with her darling dogs. Ranjita is an excellent potter, teacher and host and also ju Read more