Pottery & Design with Roberto
- One Guest
- USD $945
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $460
Meet the Artist
Over the past 10 years, Roberto has lived and taught across Europe. In addition to working on his own production, he designs custom collections side by side with local makers or clients who come from the world of gastronomy, art or architecture. He always carries his grandmother's handwritten recipe book with him, hence his passion for gastronomy and notebooks, faithful tools he always has on his table or in his pocket.
The guidelines in Roberto’s atelier are simple and straightforward — less is more, useful, sharp, and smart. What really matters is the idea! He starts from the concept and develops the design to create an unexpected unique object. It incorporates everything from avant-garde, modernist architectural shapes to intricate handcrafted details and embellishments. He explores textures using hands and specific tools, playing with slips and oxides to give color and layers to the object and much more.
The studio is like a laboratory where ideas and clay merge in a creative environment formed by people of all ages, countries and professions. If you want to learn the importance and value of handmade and good design, you’ve found what you are looking for.
- Introduction to design and pottery process.
- Experimenting with ideas and clay to develop your own designs.
- Learning the basics of wheel throwing to make well done cylinders , bowls and plates.
- Learning how to work with textures and how to illustrate on the clay pieces. Play with slips, oxides, and techniques like sgraffito, tape-resist and sodium silicate.
- Learning how to trim and stitch together clay components.
- Visiting a local design atelier, art gallery, and walk in Palma Old Town.
- All materials, tools and your hand-built ceramic pieces to take home. (Pieces can be shipped for an additional fee.)
Explore Majorca, Spain
Roberto's studio is in Palma, where the early morning light lets the façades made of local stone speak about history and art. As a designer and traveler, he finds Palma and Mallorca in general – a special place where people like him decide to settle down and exchange skills and knowledge.
This VAWAA is available for a longer duration up to 8 days. If interested in extending your time, let us know by how many days and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Roberto speaks Spanish, English and Italian.
Overall, the experience with Roberto was beyond great. As I already commented, he is a wonderful person and an amazing teacher. His teaching is very didactic, calm, assuring and motivating. And, of course, he is a very talented designer and potter. Originally, the experience was mainly meant for my partner Lionel and I was accompanying him but ultimately, we both got very different results. Lionel Read more