Handweaving with Ulrike
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $885
- Additional guest(s) (max 2)
- USD $300
Meet the Artist
- Planning your project and choosing the materials.
- Preparing the warp and dressing the loom (either 4 or 8 harness depending on your experience).
- Weaving and finishing.
- Hiking around the island to pick plants for extracting dye.
- Visiting a cochineal farmer and learning about the history of the insect.
- Meeting Uli's master and mentor -- an 85 years old local weaver, and visiting other local craftspeople in their studios.
- Your own scarf or shawl, with option for a blanket (depending on time).
Explore Gran Canaria
The Canary Islands are known as the land of eternal spring, making Gran Canaria marvelous to visit year round. Some events to look out for are the Carnival of Las Palmas in February, one of the most famous Carnivals in Spain, the International Jazz Festival in July, and the World music festival WOMAD early November.
Kelsey M., United States
I couldn’t have asked for a better learning experience. Uli’s passion for the trade was contagious. She patiently helped me understand each step and how to fix common mistakes. Knowing I wanted to learn how to naturally dye but didn’t have the time to dye the yarn for my project, she made sure to still teach me using silk scarves she graciously gave me to take home. She kindly shifted classroom ti Read more