For longer durations, add a note in your booking request and your guest experience coordinator will help find availability.
Traditional Brass Bell Crafting with Yoshinori
- One Guest
- USD $1495
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $585
- One Guest
- USD $445
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $195
Meet the Artist
- Making Rin Buddhist bell and/or suzugami plates.
- Hammering metal (brass, tin).
- Smoothing and shaping the bell using various tools (grinder, hammer, etc.)
- Learning how to create the three sounds of the Orin: "Kan," "Otsu," and "Mon".
- Fine-tuning the sound of the bell (with assistance by Yoshinori and his practiced ear).
- Visiting a metal manufacturer to do workshops.
- Visiting a temple to meet a monk and use the bell.
- Visiting another traditional craft studio (lacquerware).
- Relaxing at a meditation class at a nearby temple.
- Local sushi, seafood, sake and craft beer.
- Your own handcrafted rin bell and/or suzugami plates.
Stay at Yoshinori's
Explore Takaoka, Toyama
Guests do not need to practice Buddhism to learn the process of rin bell-making.
Children and elderly people are welcome if they have enough stamina to hammer for seven hours per day. Otherwise, you can also shorten the hours per day and expand the number of days to 5 days instead.
Good seasons to visit Japan are in spring, to experience the nation's famed cherry blossom season, and fall, for beautiful foliage, plus Takaoka Craft Ichiba-machi and Takaoka Craft Exhibition are also held in the city end of September each year.
It's best to avoid winter holiday and New Years (Dec. 24 - Jan. 7) as many businesses close.
This VAWAA lasts 4 days and includes 1 day off. It is also available for a longer duration, up to 5 days. If interested in extending your time, just let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.