Traditional Brass Bell Crafting with Yoshinori
- Lunch, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $1545
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $585
- One Guest
- USD $465
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $205
Meet the Artist
Although bell-making is a practice steeped in tradition, he is constantly trying to modernize the craft by appropriating the skills used in bell-making to other mediums. You can see it in his modern suzugami plates and bowls where sheets of tin are hammered to become so malleable that they can be constantly reshaped. His pieces have been sought out by Nobu in Tokyo, Japan, and El Celler de Can Roca in Girona, Spain, among others. Not to miss, you'll also develop a keen sense of hearing making those bells!
- Making Rin Buddhist bell and/or suzugami plates.
- Hammering metal (brass, tin).
- Smoothing and shaping the bell using various tools (grinder, hammer, etc.)
- Learning how to create the three sounds of the Orin: "Kan," "Otsu," and "Mon".
- Fine-tuning the sound of the bell (with assistance by Yoshinori and his practiced ear).
- Visiting a metal manufacturer to do workshops.
- Visiting a temple to meet a monk and use the bell.
- Visiting another traditional craft studio (lacquerware).
- Relaxing at a meditation class at a nearby temple.
- Local sushi, seafood, sake and craft beer.
- Your own handcrafted rin bell and/or suzugami plates.
Stay at Yoshinori's
Explore Takaoka, Toyama
Children and elderly people are welcome if they have enough stamina to hammer for seven hours per day. Otherwise, you can also shorten the hours per day and expand the number of days to 5 days instead.
Good seasons to visit Japan are in spring, to experience the nation's famed cherry blossom season, and fall, for beautiful foliage, plus Takaoka Craft Ichiba-machi and Takaoka Craft Exhibition are also held in the city end of September each year.
It's best to avoid winter holiday and New Years (Dec. 24 - Jan. 7) as many businesses close.
This VAWAA lasts 4 days and includes 1 day off. It is also available for a longer duration, up to 5 days. If interested in extending your time, just let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Ronald, United States
the brass bell crafting workshop was a wonderful and positive experience. you craft your bell with other craftsmen in the work area. this workshop does each steps in a traditional manner using basic hand tools eg.,hammer and anvil. my sense accomplishment grows as i created a bell from thick sheets of brass. the craftsmen are happy help you improve your bell and skill, in part because they know so Read more