Experimental Ceramics with Kees & Maria Del Carmen
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
- One Guest
- USD $835
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $460
- One Guest
- USD $240
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $180
Meet the Artist
Her expertise is in experimenting with new and fun materials and techniques, like fusing ceramic techniques and the spontaneous burning of experimental materials with different local non-traditional materials. These unique results have won her several local and national awards. She loves teaching how to create beautiful pieces with few and simple materials. “Wherever you go you will find clay, water, and you can create fire to burn with the primary elements in your direct surroundings. The whole process taking care of the artistic part of creation.”
- Learning how to prepare clay.
- Learning how to build ceramic pieces of small format (+/-- 20 cm.) using various techniques.
- Walking through the natural environment to collect local earth that will be used to color the works.
- Preparation of the collected earth type technique called “Terra Sigilata”.
- Learning various techniques of finishing and decoration of the ceramic pieces like burnishing, printing and scraffito.
- Preparations of single firing in a primitive kiln using firewood, charcoal and organic materials and experimental techniques like using salts and reduction process.
- Tools and materials.
- Your handmade ceramic artworks.
- Visit the Paricutin Volcano church ruins, the remains of a Mexican village destroyed by a volcano, while waiting for your ceramic pieces to dry.
Stay at Kees & Maria Del Carmen's
This VAWAA is available for a longer duration, up to 15 days. If interested in extending your time, just let us know by how many days and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Dasom C., United States
My time with Carmen & Kees was incredible and it truly felt like I was spending time with long time friends. We jumped straight into the essentials of experimental ceramics, learned to work iteratively, and spent many evenings talking about the things we made during the day over wonderful meals and wine. The natural progression of our work over the course of 5 days was enough to keep us all excite Read more
Claire R., United States
I can't fully describe how magical our stay was with Kees and Carmen. It felt like visiting family. They welcomed us into their gorgeous home, perched atop a hill overlooking the lake. Kees designed and built the house himself - it is truly one of a kind. Carmen was the best ceramics teacher! She shared so many tips, techniques, and ideas and was incredibly generous with her space and time. The ex Read more