Fabric Collage, Stitching and Knotting with Debra
- One Guest
- USD $585
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $375
- One Guest
- USD $210
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $60
Meet the Artist
For her, the concept of layers and transparency are symbolic of our being – she loves that she can find these qualities inherent in textile scraps. She believes we collect experiences throughout our lives. These experiences mold and change us; they sway our character. When all is said and done we remain the same person, however changed we may seem. Our integrity, our soul, our being that was birthed into this lifetime remains unchanged. Through stitching layers upon layers, she creates unity and celebrates life.
Inspired by the beauty of nature, she favors organic shapes, colors and textures in both her functional garments and fiber structures. Throughout her practice, she gently manipulates fabric through stitching, knotting, appliqué and layering. Time slows as she works intuitively letting the materials guide, observing and finding peace.
- Explore techniques for fabric collaging, stitching or knotting.
- Learn to play with scraps of fabric without creating preconceived shapes.
- Guidance on a variety of stitching techniques including running stitch, back stitch, blanket stitch and chain stitch.
- Stitching layers upon layers and allowing the stitches to inform your piece.
- Learning to tie a double half hitch knot to create your choice of an art piece or a rag rug.
- Learning mini macrame techniques to create a tiny tapestry like piece.
- Studio visits with local L.A. artists based on availability.
- All of the tools and materials necessary to create your piece.
Stay at Debra's
Explore Los Angeles
Debra’s studio is located in one of the most coveted east side Los Angeles neighborhoods proudly inhabited by diverse cultures, ages and incomes. From architectural landmarks, eclectic shops and restaurants, farmer’s markets to hikes in nearby Griffith Park, it strikes a balance between arts, nature and comfort. See the city as Debra does, "in its glory and its chaos" and be inspired by all the things the city has to offer. Explore L.A. on foot or by metro, taking in all of the colors and textures you will need as inspiration. Visit one of LA's many museums like The Broad, The Getty, The Los Angeles County Museum of Art or climb the Santa Monica Mountains for picturesque views, and then take a dip or surf in the invigorating Pacific Ocean.
This VAWAA can be extended for up to 7 days. If interested in extending your time, let us know by how many days and we will do our best to accommodate you.
There is no wheelchair access, but Debra can offer studio sessions outside, weather providing.
Anouska C., United States
Debra is a wonderful patient generous instructor and not to mention a terrific cook. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with her and learned a lot. I was new to textile collaging and this is something I definitely will do again.
I loved the fabrics she had to choose from and how she went through step by step what needed to be done. I learned several new stitches! Debra thoughtfully guided me through Read more