Felt Fiber Art with Esther
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $945
- Additional guest(s) (max 2)
- USD $360
- One Guest
- USD $150
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $65
Meet the Artist
Over the years she trained under master felters Inge Bauer, Lyda Rump and Beatriz Schaaf-Giesser. She experimented with installations, performance collaborations with other artists and land art. Then she began focusing on micro environments to become aware of the small, normal things that surround us with their beauty. This serves as constant inspiration for her creative work in the studio.
She says "I like wool and natural materials in my work because they are inexpensive, sustainable, re-growing and non-hurting. They are slow to grow, collect and work with." This slow process of crafting delicate fiber into a hard felted sculpture is a lesson in both technique and time – an interesting and challenging journey that shapes our inner creativity. She hopes to share a little lifetime and space with people from around the world knowing it is always an exchange and nutrition for everyone involved.
- Understand the process of conceptualizing and designing felt art or sculpture.
- Study the felting approach, techniques, create samples, and craft small to large objects.
- For beginners; learn the basics of felting “the plane” and “the void”, and explore transparent qualities in felt.
- For intermediate learners; learn nuno felting and how to include non felting materials.
- For advanced learners; learn how to craft a little animal, or other 3D plain sculptures, or difficult 3D void shapes. Understand the process of creating this from start to finish.
- Your own handmade felt objects or sculpture.
- Outdoor fiber and felt session in the forest (if the weather permits).
- One or more hikes to a special panoramic view point.
Stay at Esther's
Explore Minceto, Genoa
Unfortunately, the studio does not have wheelchair access. There are cats, but they are strictly living outside. However, if you are allergic to cats, please bring suitable medication before you arrive.
Esther speaks German, Italian, Swiss German, English, and French.
Lindsay J., United States
This was my first VAWAA and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It was an amazing time! Esther is an excellent teacher: clear and patient. I had no experience or background knowledge of this material and I am leaving this VAWAA knowledgable and encouraged. Her mountaintop location is relaxing and peaceful, and studio is bright and inviting. Esther's various felt sculptural works decorate her home Read more