Immersive Audio & Creative Recording with Jamie
- Lunch, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $1410
- Additional guest(s) (max 2)
- USD $600
- One Guest
- USD $250
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $150
Meet the Artist
He describes his home studio as a “magical fusion of the old and the new” - an old church hidden in a secluded Scottish glen, surrounded by mountains, with beautiful acoustics and cutting edge immersive audio technology. You'll feel right at home, as his artist wife Charlotte and daughter Molly are just as welcoming as Jamie, and love offering their daily freshly baked bread!
- Create your own personal ‘secret place’: capture the soundscape and sensations of the magical Scottish Highland in immersive 3D audio, to return to whenever you want simply by pulling on your headphones.
- Become a sound collector: start building your own sound archive to take away and use in your own projects, art installations or as sonic postcards to share with friends and family.
- Learn how Jamie creates ‘sonic novels’, where words, music, field recordings and sound design combine to create an immersive story told through sound, then try it out for yourself with words and texts you want to bring to life.
- Explore how ‘thinking spatially’ about sound can bring a new dimension to your own art project.
- Capture spatial audio by using ambisonic microphones, a binaural ‘dummy head’ and various other spatial microphone arrays.
- Work with spatial audio tools in the Reaper DAW, using state of the art software as well as freeware you can use at home.
- Learn how to make great narration recordings in both studio and non-studio environments.
- Experiment with recording music using our inspiring collection of instruments: from the everyday (piano, drums, guitars, organ, violin), the unusual (clarsach, theremin, pianoharp) and the downright odd (bone marimba, bullroarer, thunder rattle) we are sure to have something you want to pluck, blow, hit or swing.
- Discover how to capture perspective, depth, and dimension in a recording.
- Assemble your project in the Reaper DAW and learn how to use panning, effects, and editing to polish up your finished mix.
- Find out how to monitor your mix on headtracked headphones, static binaural and multichannel loudspeaker arrays, as well as good old stereo.
- Escape your creative rut: bring along your own music project and collaborate with Jamie to take it in a new direction, overcome ‘writer’s block’ or simply to lose yourself in the process in this inspirational environment.
- Go on a field recording expedition to the hills, lochs, sea, woods and other sonically interesting environments surrounding Appin (and maybe a town if we need one!)
- Wild swimming
- Mountain biking
Stay at Jamie's
You will also be around a friendly cat.
Explore Argyll, Scotland
If a project needs extra time, we can either extend your VAWAA or (if possible) collaborate remotely using file sharing services for the same daily fees.
This VAWAA is available for a longer duration. Please ask when you send your booking request.
While guests of any level or experience are welcome, we recommend having a basic working knowledge of digital audio, use of microphones and familiarity with Reaper DAW to get the most out of your studio session.
You will also be around a friendly cat. If you are allergic to cats, please bring suitable medication before you arrive.
Jane T., Canada
The Immersive Audio and Creative Recording VAWAA with Jamie was brilliant. The location is stunningly beautiful, Jamie's knowledge of his craft excellent and he is a very professional teacher. The accommodations and food above par. I was an absolute beginner and I found it a fascinating experience. Very appreciative to have had this opportunity and I shall wax lyrical for days when I return home t Read more