Explore your world through the craft of clay with natural patterns as your inspiration. Award-winning artist Siem is deeply connected to nature's geometric beauty. Join him on the scenic coast of Maine, and discover where your creativity takes you.
Meet the Artist
Siem is fascinated with the natural patterns and forms he finds around him, allowing his work to take shape organically and reveal all of its details, intricacies, and textures over time. For him, creating rarely begins with an idea; there are times when the meaning or story of a piece doesn’t manifest itself until long after it’s complete. He takes great care in the way he carves, polishes and glazes. As a result, his sculptures are strikingly tactile and mesmerizing to the touch. Siem loves to share his knowledge with others looking to explore their world through art. He believes art is a revelatory process – one he hopes continues on in the lives of those who use and find joy in his work.
Your VAWAA experience
- Beginners will focus on learning foundational techniques and principles.
- Work with clay to educate your hands through step-by-step exercises.
- Develop an intimate understanding of the material.
- Choose between wheel throwing or hand-building to create your own ceramic piece.
- Intermediates will choose a focus such as a particular tableware form, a specific type of container, or abstract sculpture.
- Learning design development, form modification, and surface decoration techniques that will take you to new places in your work.
- Work to hone or expand your skills.
- Advanced apprentices are asked to arrive with specific goals in mind for what you’d like to explore.
- We'll work toward those goals with Siem as your guide.
- Seeing where the experience takes you during your time together.
- Your handmade ceramic pieces to take home or shipped later.
- Your VAWAA experience.
- Materials and tools.
- Your own handcrafted work to take home.
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
You'll be in Lincolnville, Maine
Things you might be wondering
What is the skill-level required?
Each VAWAA is tailored to your skill level. There is no required experience level, only a willingness to learn. Wonderful for beginners, incredible for experts. You’ll go through the entire process of an art form at your own pace, have exclusive access to the artist and their studio, and connect meaningfully.
Will I be solo or in a group?
Each VAWAA is private and designed for you and your friends. No strangers. Why? Because it allows for a deeper and more meaningful connection with the master artist while maximizing your learning that’s tailored to you. Most VAWAAs allow up to 4 guests for each studio session so as to respect the master’s space and preserve the intimate nature of the learning experience. We do organize intimate group retreats from time to time.
What does the price include?
VAWAAs are priced fairly to support professional artists and makers while providing access to high quality and personalized creative experiences to everyone. Artists decide their own fees for hosting, teaching, materials, tools and studio access. And we support them by managing all their bookings and providing every guest a personal VAWAA experience coordinator to help with planning.
What if I need to cancel?
For a full refund, cancel within 7 days of purchase. To receive a 50% refund or 75% credit towards a future VAWAA, cancel at least 30 days before the start of your VAWAA. You can reschedule at least 30 days before the start of your VAWAA for a $100 rescheduling fee. More on COVID-19 related cancellation policy here.
I'm ready. What should I expect?
Select available dates listed on the artist’s calendar page and start reservation. You won’t be charged yet and have the option to reserve dates with a $300 deposit per guest. If you don’t see the dates you’re looking for, email us or let us know via contact form and we’ll see what’s possible. If you're not ready to book quite yet, you can “save” the VAWAA artist to receive periodic updates. Once you book, you get a direct line to us for everything you need help with. We assist with travel planning, accommodation, possible project ideas, and even local things to do in your off-time.