Ceramics with Camila
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $975
- Additional guest(s) (max 2)
- USD $325
Meet the Artist
Her process is nonlinear, full of references and associations: looking at nature, at different kinds of art (especially photography and sculpture), working with her body through dance and other somatic practices, and deep listening. These references guide her to choose the right material, followed by extensive experimentation and ceramic research to develop the right building techniques and finishes.
Besides ceramics, she looks forward to the cultural exchange and sharing the vast possibilities that the city offers in terms of culture, nature, and fun.
- Introduction to different clay bodies and ceramic methods.
- Concept development through reflection and creative exercises.
- Preparing clay and other materials.
- Handbuilding techniques such as slab, pinch and coil.
- Throwing clay on a potters wheel for experimental and sculptural processes.
- Sculpting and surface detailing.
- A day off to explore, rest, and wander while the pieces dry.
- If time permits, kiln firing and glazing techniques. If kiln can not be fired before the end of session, you can choose the glaze and pick up after it is fired or have it shipped home for an additional fee. There's also the option to work with special glazes for an additional fee if time permits.
- A visit to Tonalá or Tlaquepaque to see local pottery tradition and other craft makers.
- A visit to other local studios.
- If desired and time permits, you can engage in an array of wonderful local activities with Camila to enrich your experience including a walk in the forest, visit to the museum, ambient concert, meditation sessions.
It is the hub of a longstanding pottery tradition in nearby areas like Tonalá and Tlaquepaque. With the rise of ceramics, Guadalajara has captured the imagination for different explorations with this artform, from contemporary to more artisanal and crafty works.
Guadalajara’s location, close to the town of Tequila and just a few hours from some of Mexico’s most beautiful beaches, makes it a perfect point of departure for a longer vacation.
This VAWAA cannot be extended in duration.
You must be ready to do a lot of physical work, should not have back injuries, and be able to handle at least 20kg of weight.
This session is not ideal for kids, however it can be adapted for elderly and people in wheelchairs. Please specify special needs in the booking request because some objects and materials in the studio can be dangerous.
Camila speaks Spanish and English.
Kevin Q., United States
Working with Camila was so lovely! Her chill and warm energy combined with the dreamy courtyard helped to create a pressure free environment for me to explore some ideas in ceramics. I have a lot of ceramics experience so while I was not looking for much technical guidance I was looking for creative guidance. Camila was a good sounding board for me to discuss what I was thinking and her experience Read more