For longer durations, add a note in your booking request and your guest experience coordinator will help find availability.
Japanese Calligraphy with Chikako
- One Guest
- USD $595
- Additional guest(s) (max 6)
- USD $370
Meet the Artist
- Understanding history of kanji characters and how it ties into the Japanese culture.
- Learning about different calligraphy tools, brushes and inks.
- Maintaining body posture.
- Learning different brush techniques and line movements.
- Practicing calligraphy with Chikako’s students in different studios.
- Visiting calligraphy exhibition.
- Trying calligraphy performance art depending on skill level.
- Materials and your hand drawn calligraphy artworks.
My four days with Chikako and her family was an memorable experience that I highly recommend to everyone who wants to live an exiting, open-minded and unique experience in Japan and learn more about the Japanese culture.
During her class, you are going to learn:
- the principles of Japanese calligraphy
- practice some useful exercises
- some immersions in Chikako's daily life: attending extr Read more
I had a fabulous 4 days with Chikako and her mother. Chikako was warm and a wonderful teacher. Over the four days, I was with her, I learnt about the different character formations of the Japanese script, the art of making Sumi (or ink) and more importantly, the philosophy of Japanese calligraphy which helped me to see Kyoto with new eyes. Chikao and her mother made me feel completely at home - bo Read more
Kate Tram, Australia
I want to thank you for arranging such an incredible experience with Chikako. She's so kind and knowledgeable. I have learned and been loving calligraphy so much. Chikako also took me to local places for lunches, sweets, souvenirs... It's not only calligraphy that I learned, it's also about the people, the food, the culture I've seen by meeting Chikako thank to your program. I wish you keep your s Read more
Katie, Hong Kong
I am a watercolour artist. And with watercolour one needs to have intention and purpose and really commit to every brushstroke. I felt that there must be similarities with calligraphy and I wanted to learn more about this from the perspective of a calligraphy artist. My favourite day was when I joined a lesson and practised with Chikako students, some of whom had been practising with her for 20 ye Read more
Anuja, United States
Being in the artist's studio was good and took the experience to a more personal level. She was very personal and warm which was encouraging.
Gaurabh, United States
Gave a good overview of the art in the time she had. Was good at providing the right amount of hand-holding and guidance