Encaustic Painting with Ezshwan
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $820
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $475
Meet the Artist
She says, "The fluidity of encaustic is challenging, exhilarating and inspiring and exciting. Layer after layer is applied, scraped, incised, fused, and marked to allow the truth of the piece to speak. Like jazz, there is improvisation that can take a work to a deeper, more subconscious state that can be meditative and musical, so that the work may transform the viewer beyond the mundane and predictable.”
Her work has been exhibited internationally and is in museums, corporate and private international collections. She lived in Europe for years and traveled extensively. These travel experiences to other cultures continue to inspire her and she hopes you will feel the same when you visit her home, San Miguel de Allende.
- Introduction to the ancient medium of hot wax painting.
- Learn how to make your own paint.
- Understand the basic techniques of painting with wax.
- Demo of how to use mark making, stencils, transfers, and oil glazes in your painting.
- Learn how to apply and fuse collaged layers.
- Discover the magic of creating with a gas torch or a heat gun.
- Learn how to use transparency to soften and push back strong colors.
- All tools, materials and 5 boards to try different techniques.
- A visit to the Fabrica La Aurora, to see the works of local artists and designers.
- A visit to other artists’ studios and galleries.
- Option to go on the big art walk held first Saturday of every month, or explore the colonia of outdoor murals and local art supply stores.
- Your handmade paintings.
Explore San Miguel de Allende
Nearby day trips include hot springs, high desert hikes, and the Jesuit Sanctuary of Atoltonilco, famous for its murals of angels and demons and over-the-top Mexican Baroque interior.
This VAWAA can be extended for up to 4 days for advanced techniques. Please include a note in your booking request.
This session is not ideal for kids, and unfortunately cannot be adapted for people with special needs due to the use of hot materials and tools used in the studio.
Ezshwan speaks English and some Spanish.
Philip V., United States
Ezshwan is a really good teacher. We had a great time in the class and afterwards visiting the Fabrica and some excellent restaurants together.
Heidi M., United States
Ezshwan is a knowledgeable and friendly instructor. I can't wait to explore the materials and processes she introduced me to. It was a real pleasure to work with her. Not only did she teach me the basics of encaustic but also cold wax. Both technique are so cool!
Fia R., United States
We had a wonderful time with Ezshwan. She was a gracious host and teacher. We all fell in love with the process of encaustics and plan to continue our learning and exploring of this great medium back home.
Debbie K., United States
Myself and two girlfriends attended this private workshop with Ezshwan. It was a great learning experience! Ezshwan could not have been nicer and an excellent teacher! This is a hard medium to learn in just three days so we were happy to take away one or two pieces that we are proud of. Her explanations were great. We had use of many of her nice supplies.
Heather R., United States
The three days we spent with Ezshwan and her daughter were amazing! We learned several techniques and left having completed 3 different paintings. In addition, Ezshwan shared her love of San Miguel de Allende with us taking us to local markets, eateries and galleries. Just awesome!