Sculpture in Stone with Gail
- Breakfast, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $820
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $360
- One Guest
- USD $350
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $65
Meet the Artist
Her work over the years has followed its natural course – from working exclusively in metal, then stone, and finally combining stone, metal, and other materials. Forging the metal to fit or spring from the stone, borrowing traditional techniques to create something new. She finds inspiration in nature and human form, and the age-old building traditions in her area have helped guide her practice. She likes to approach her work from different points of inquiry and varying themes like ‘Of the body,’ ‘A Passage Through,’ and ‘Earthen Houses.’
Gail finds it hugely satisfying to share her knowledge, to witness someone grow, and to see their satisfaction as they accomplish something new. Her studio is in the countryside with plenty of outdoor areas to work in, surrounded by wine and olive-growing farms. You are in for a treat!
- Create sculptures in stone or combined materials like clay, metal, and leather.
- Prepare the form in clay, wax, or plaster.
- Model the form in stone using basic to advanced methods.
- Develop and refine the form using various techniques to work the stone with hand tools.
- Get guidance on cutting, drilling, and splitting the stone using machines and compressors.
- Add textures, polish and finish your hand made sculpture.
- Learn to make your own tools (for advanced levels).
- Combine materials to make a sculpture for an additional fee and extended duration.
- Your own stone sculpture.
- Visit Grožnjan the historic city of artists, Marussici sculpture park, summer music evenings, and exhibitions.
- Walks in the countryside, the Parenzana, or visit the waterfall and swim seaside. (seasonal availability)
- Option to visit seaside towns Piran and Pula and other sculpture parks nearby.
Stay at Gail's
When you want to relax, you can pick fresh fruits in her outdoor garden while enjoying the terrace overlooking the village. Set amid olive groves and vineyards, it is a relaxing space to share meals or gather inspiration. Please note that the house requires the use of steps and a staircase for access. It's also the home of 3 cats that mostly stay outside.
Stoneworking is part of the local tradition. Istrian stone has been used for construction since the Venetian era – from the famous Roman amphitheater in Pula to the local stone houses. Stone workers were brought to work the stone from further south in Dalmatia or Monte Negro, which influenced the local architecture. Gail uses the same stone for her sculptures.
The Istrian peninsula in the northern Adriatic is packed with ancient hill towns, UNESCO Heritage sites, and a rugged coastline. There's something to explore for everyone, whether it is Marussici, a beautiful village nearby with 40 sculptures from all over the world, the splendid views of the Mirna river valley, or Momjan, the wine country and its castle. Food lovers, in particular, flock to the region for its award-winning cuisine, truffles, and abundance of fresh ingredients.
This VAWAA can be extended for up to 21 days for special projects or advanced techniques. Please ask when you send your booking request.
Seniors and anyone above the age of 18 are welcome. This VAWAA is not suitable for individuals on wheelchairs or with special needs as it requires guests to be on their feet most of the day.
Gail's home has 3 cats that mostly stay outside. If you are allergic to cats, please bring suitable medication before you arrive.
Gail speaks English, Italian and some Spanish, Croatian and Slovene.
Mc Arthur K., United States
Fabulous! I literally felt my brain getting unstuck as I tried something brand new. Gail was a great teacher— clearly had the vision and skills to chart a path to a successfully completed piece. Helps, of course, she is patient, flexible, and good fun. Highly recommend! P.s.: and her house and cafes are CHARMING!