For longer durations, add a note in your booking request and your guest experience coordinator will help find availability.
Natural Dyeing and Indigenous Weaving with Juana
- Roundtrip Airport Transportation
- Accommodation Included
- Meals Included
- One Guest
- USD $1840
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $1425
- One Guest
- Additional guest(s)
Meet the Artist
- Three days of learning natural dyeing techniques, including indigo and cochineal.
- Using muicle leaves and wood ash for fermentation.
- Extracting various shades of blue from indigo and creating other green and purple shades.
- Three days of learning weaving on a frame loom using the wool you dyed.
- Weaving techniques of familiar Zapotec motifs, understanding thread count per inch and learning how to operate a traditional spinning wheel.
- Visit to the local community museum to identify motifs and recognize weaving styles dating back hundreds of years.
- Materials and tools.
- Your own small finished piece.
- Airport transportation, accommodation and meals, including Juana's hot chocolate and pan dulce in the evenings.
Stay at Juana's
This VAWAA requires minimum 3 guests. It is also available for a longer duration. If interested in extending your time, just let us know by how many days and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Spending 6 days with Juana and her family was an amazing experience. This was my first time working with natural dyes and I feel blessed to have learned from Juana. In addition to sharing her years of knowledge, she brings a calm, reverent energy to the process that helped me slow down, observe, and more fully appreciate the skills & tradition that contribute to such beautiful results. I also love Read more