For longer durations, add a note in your booking request and your guest experience coordinator will help find availability.
Natural Dyeing and Indigenous Weaving with Juana
- Accommodation Included
- Meals Included
- Roundtrip Airport Transportation
- One Guest
- USD $1855
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $1425
- One Guest
- Additional guest(s)
Meet the Artist
- Three days of learning natural dyeing techniques, including indigo and cochineal.
- Using muicle leaves and wood ash for fermentation.
- Extracting various shades of blue from indigo and creating other green and purple shades.
- Three days of learning weaving on a frame loom using the wool you dyed.
- Weaving techniques of familiar Zapotec motifs, understanding thread count per inch and learning how to operate a traditional spinning wheel.
- Visit to the local community museum to identify motifs and recognize weaving styles dating back hundreds of years.
- Materials and tools.
- Your own small finished piece.
- Airport transportation, accommodation and meals, including Juana's hot chocolate and pan dulce in the evenings.
Stay at Juana's
This VAWAA requires minimum 3 guests. It is also available for a longer duration. If interested in extending your time, just let us know by how many days and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Juana and her family welcomed us into their home to learn about their craft for 6 memorable days. Juana, Antonio, and Claudio shared their expert knowledge of natural dyeing, weaving, and the local culture, always taking the time to explain techniques and patiently offer us guidance as first-time dyers/weavers. During our week there we helped to dye wool in a beautiful array of colours and got to Read more
Spending 6 days with Juana and her family was an amazing experience. This was my first time working with natural dyes and I feel blessed to have learned from Juana. In addition to sharing her years of knowledge, she brings a calm, reverent energy to the process that helped me slow down, observe, and more fully appreciate the skills & tradition that contribute to such beautiful results. I also love Read more