Natural Dyeing and Indigenous Weaving with Juana
- Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- Airport Transportation
- One Guest
- USD $1920
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $1440
- One Guest
- Additional guest(s)
Meet the Artist
- Three days of learning natural dyeing techniques, including indigo and cochineal.
- Using muicle leaves and wood ash for fermentation.
- Extracting various shades of blue from indigo and creating other green and purple shades.
- Three days of learning weaving on a frame loom using the wool you dyed.
- Weaving techniques of familiar Zapotec motifs, understanding thread count per inch and learning how to operate a traditional spinning wheel.
- Visit to the local community museum to identify motifs and recognize weaving styles dating back hundreds of years.
- Materials and tools.
- Your own small finished piece (40 cm x 50 cm).
- Airport transportation, accommodation and meals, including Juana's hot chocolate and pan dulce in the evenings.
Stay at Juana's
Angela S., United States
I have a growing interest in knitting and quilting, and had long been curious about weaving. In addition, I have a great love for textiles. So when a friend who knew my interests sent me a link to Juana's course with VAWAA, I started thinking about how I could make the trip happen. I eventually signed up for the class, and found it to be an extraordinary experience, undoubtedly one of the most mem Read more
Alexis B., United States
I had an incredible time with Juana and her family. Everyone I met was incredibly talented and super patient with me. This was a truly unforgettable experience. I'm so glad I have copious examples, notes, and finished projects to show for my work so I can translate what I learned into my own art.
Persephenie S., United States
Staying with Juana and her family was an incredible experience and more than we could have asked for. Not only did my son and I learn about botanical dying and weaving, we learned about Zopotec culture, and the rhythm of life in their native village. Juana and her family took care of us, with daily delicious meals, insights into what was happening in and around her village, and she was always will Read more
Jessica O., Canada
Juana and her family welcomed us into their home to learn about their craft for 6 memorable days. Juana, Antonio, and Claudio shared their expert knowledge of natural dyeing, weaving, and the local culture, always taking the time to explain techniques and patiently offer us guidance as first-time dyers/weavers. During our week there we helped to dye wool in a beautiful array of colours and got to Read more
Julie I., Canada
Spending 6 days with Juana and her family was an amazing experience. This was my first time working with natural dyes and I feel blessed to have learned from Juana. In addition to sharing her years of knowledge, she brings a calm, reverent energy to the process that helped me slow down, observe, and more fully appreciate the skills & tradition that contribute to such beautiful results. I also love Read more