Stone Sculpting and Wood Carving with Paola & Julio
- Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- Airport Transportation
- One Guest
- USD $2925
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $1345
Meet the Artist
He’s been carving stones for 25 years, both in high quality manufacturing as well as developing his artistic language. He has constructed relationships with the most important communities of miners, artists, and lapidaries around stones in Mexico. He says that sharing what he knows about stone transformation is a way to keep alive ancient knowledge, and to communicate his personal journey of experimentation and plant the seed for its expansion. When he's not in his studio, he enjoys visiting archaeological sites and gazing upon 16th century architecture.
- Learning about various types of stones and gemstones, and sizes.
- Gaining an understanding of the mexican sculpture tradition: modern and pre hispanic.
- Learning techniques for combining stone, wood, and other materials.
- Learning how to use stone carving and cutting tools.
- Access to an important art library, studio and tools.
- Your own stone and/or wood sculpture.
- A complete gastronomic experience based on traditional local food and home grown plants, vegetables and fruits.
- Walk to local 16th century colonial churches and chapels, and traditional handicraft studios, such as ceramicists, leather workers, and blacksmiths.
- One visit out of town to either harvest stones at a river bed, visit the marble or basalt mines or spend time at the thermal baths.
- A Mexico City tour showcasing the Mexican stone sculptures and culture from modern and contemporary to pre-hispanic, including a visit to Julio's showroom collection of finished artwork.
Explore Zacualpan de Amilpas, Morelos
This VAWAA is available for a longer duration, as well as can be adapted for kids, elders, or people with special needs. Please ask when you send your booking request.
Working with semi precious stones like quartz, or kinds of obsidian, jasper and jades can be provided at an additional cost.
You will also be around friendly cats and dogs.
William C., United States
We recently returned from a week working with Julio and Paola in Zacualpan de Amilpas. Our son, Will, had a few months between jobs and wanted to fill the time traveling and learning new skills. This trip seemed like the perfect combination of those goals.
He asked his father, Ken, and me to join him. Let me be honest, my idea of a vacation is sitting by the ocean reading a good book. I initial Read more
Tricia K., United States
The week we spent with Julio and Paola was one we’ll remember for the rest of our lives. It has profoundly impacted our creative practice, and taught us volumes about professional and artistic stone carving, as well as Mexican life, culture, and food.
The schedule is as advertised - intense, in the best of senses. Julio dedicates his whole time to your experience and provides a well-equipped st Read more