Ajrakh Block Printing with Sarfraz
- Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $290
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $140
Meet the Artist
- Learning the 13 step Ajrakh block printing process.
- Introduction to plants and processes used to manufacture natural dyes.
- Creating and mixing your own black, indigo and red dyes.
- Pre-dye treatment of fabrics.
- Motif placement, repeat patterns, relief printing using hand carved blocks.
- Dyeing and block printing two scarf sized textile pieces.
- Washing, drying, and finishing processes.
- Materials and tools.
The experience at Pracheen with Sarafraz and the block printers was amazing. Not only did I learn a lot, but everyone was so very kind and helpful. There were many memorable moments, but the one that stands out for me the most is when my pieces went into the indigo vat and came out totally transformed. And....I was introduced to the most delicious food. :)
Sarfraz was extremely welcoming and kind, a joy to work with !
Eager to learn about block printing, I decided to go to the source... to India! My 5 days with Sarfraz and his team were a very authentic dive into block printing and natural textile dyeing, but also into life in a dazzling, hard-working neighborhood in Mumbai. Working with high-skilled artisans and using no chemicals, this is an impressive and unexpected studio to find in the center of cosmopolit Read more
Jen, Hong Kong
Indeed; I can't imagine spending more than 1 or 2 days too if the target were jetsetters (who likely won't have that much time-off), but I love the premise of what VAWAA stands for in connecting travels with local artistry. Sarfraz's team was every bit welcoming once we got the initial introductions out of the way. From coordinating pickup for driver, to walking us through each stage of the crafts Read more