Cultural Food Preservation, Wild Foods and Cooking Techniques with Lori
- One Guest
- USD $1530
- Additional guest(s) (max 4)
- USD $1150
Meet the Artist
While a wild chef, hunter, forager, educator and outdoorswoman is less unusual amongst Newfoundlanders, Lori has made this her life’s mission. She is a leader and advocate in a back-to-the-land approach where traditional food culture is central. Lori is dedicated to keeping the wild game and foods of this province on our plates for generations to come, and passing on the knowledge that she learned at her own mothers knee to her own children who will inherit this islands bounty.
- Depending on your dietary preferences, availability, and season, spend 2 days on the field 40 minutes outside of St. Johns, and 1 day in the studio.
- Foraging and harvesting wild plants for tea or preserves.
- Harvesting seawater and techniques for smoking seaweed to make salt.
- Wild game cookery, field dressing, butchery and open fire cooking.
- Techniques for smoking fish and game meat.
- Techniques for bottling and preserving game, fish, and vegetables.
- Learning cultural food techniques and cooking recipes local to Newfoundland.
- Fresh bread making.
- Arrangements can be made to visit other local chefs, hunters, fisherman, and cultural treasures to enhance your learning experiences, followed by a meal cooked over the fire or a fish fry on the beach.
- All tools and ingredients.
Explore St. John's, Newfoundland
On the field activities unless otherwise specified will take place about 40 minutes outside of St. John's in either Tors Cove, or Mobile, NL.
Accommodations can be made for gluten intolerance, Halal and non red meat eaters. However, this VAWAA may not be suitable for vegetarian or vegan diets because of the way of life on the island.
Children, elderly and special needs can be easily adapted by changing the session slightly to accommodate. For example, shorter, less strenuous foraging hikes, and lifting activities can be done by Lori instead of the guests. People who use wheelchairs may find this VAWAA difficult, with the nature of session being mainly outdoors and in terrain that is not accessible .
Julie D., Canada
Few words can describe the depth of a connection we experienced with Newfoundland and one of its greatest advocates: Lori McCarthy. Chef, author, culinary pioneer, ambassador of ethical food sourcing, and hilarious host, Lori offers you a front-row seat to NL hospitality and rolls out the welcome mat to suit outings that match your interests, all with a personal touch of creativity. The foods we s Read more