Sculptural Felting and Wearable Art with Marjolein
- Lunch, Snacks, Coffee, & Tea
- One Guest
- USD $1050
- Additional guest(s) (max 2)
- USD $540
- One Guest
- USD $360
- Additional guest(s)
- USD $270
Meet the Artist
Marjolein’s work is very rhythmic and she creates different shapes and intriguing textures with wool. She finds the element of surprise and transformation very inspiring, and enjoys witnessing the metamorphosis of the soft wool fibers into solid three dimensional creations. Wool has a strong character of its own which triggers and pushes her towards new discoveries. She endlessly explores how to use color with wool, and has extensively experimented with felting and developed her own sculpting techniques. Marjolein has shown her pieces in many international exhibitions, and made several art movies with her large-scale felted sculptures.
Marjolein believes felting is a very inviting and forgiving art form. She looks forward to welcoming people into her unique, self-created world, sharing her space, and inviting others to connect with this wonderful and forgiving medium. Felting is easy to learn but endless in possibilities. Marjolein believes it is an invitation to inspire others to find an opening to their own unique creativity and experience the joy of making things with their hands.
- Create three dimensional sculptures, or wearable art.
- Deepen the consciousness about experiences learned from sculpting with felt and other fibers.
- Focus on color, design and conceptions of an artwork.
- Explore techniques for sculptural form ideas through : folding and unfolding, building relief, clamping or binding, and more.
- Play with the processes of shortening, thickening, tightening and shrinking, and other transformations of felted surfaces.
- Wool dyeing processes (optional).
- Visit at local contemporary art museum in St-Jérôme.
- Walks through the forest.
- Possibilities for early morning meditation and yoga.
- Biking, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing on the property land, country skiing, alpine skiing (seasonal availability).
Stay at Marjolein's
Explore Gore, Québec
There are several walking paths on the property for solitary walks. Close by, one can enjoy several outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, canoeing etc. During the winter season, there are numerous possibilities: snowshoeing on the property land, country skiing, alpine skiing and other winter activities in the surrounding area.
Established in 1840 by Irish immigrants, Gore is a small village surrounded by dense forests and lakes, about an hour and a half from Montréal, Québec. The water bodies, forests, wetlands and thriving natural environment makes Gore a wonderful place to enjoy the natural beauty of this part of the world. The change in seasons is dramatic in this part of Canada. A sudden and lush spring comes late May and is followed by a warm, humid summer. Autumn is spectacular for its very intense colorful canopies, followed by early fresh temperatures. Winters are cold but magically snow covered.
This VAWAA can be extended for up to 7 days.
This session is not suitable for children younger than 14yrs and cannot be adapted for people in wheelchairs as felting is mostly done standing up. There are no animals in the studio and loft.
Marjolein speaks Dutch, English, French and some German.
Francoise L., Canada
It was fantastic! I learned tons. Marjolein was very flexible and she stopped when I was tired and we started earlier when I asked.
I had my own large, well-lit apartment above her workshop. The food was delicious. I have nothing to criticize!